5 Summer Prep Tips for AC
ACS Air Conditioning Services and our team of HVAC professionals is committed to serving the people of Tucson. If your home has an HVAC system, you know it has the potential to cost you a lot of money. There are simple, common-sense ways you can make sure your A/C will keep you and your family cool this summer without racking up massive electric bills.
1) Make sure your HVAC system is cooling at its maximum efficiency. Look at the overall condition of your wiring. Check to make sure the condenser’s refrigerant connections and evaporator are in good condition. One thing you can do to measure if your A/C is working at its best is to compare the temperature of the air blowing out of the vent to the temperature of the air flowing back to the return air vent. Ideally, there should be a difference of around 15 to 18 degrees between the two. A larger difference could be a sign of a clogged air filter; a smaller difference could indicate you’re low on Freon.
2) Check your air filter every 30 to 60 days, depending on how often the system is in use. This is the equivalent of checking your car’s oil on a regular basis. If you live in an area that gets a lot of wind, or you have allergies, you should change your filter more often. One note: while specialty filters can cost more, they’re worth the money. Spring for a few extra bucks and get pleated filters for better durability.
3) Re-think your thermostat. When it’s set all the way down, it doesn’t cool down your house faster; it just makes your unit work longer.
4) Don’t forget your ductwork. Check it for leaks – you don’t want cold air to leak into your attic, so make sure you look for holes. The two common types of ductwork are flexible and rigid metal, which lasts longer. If you find holes in your flexible ductwork, you should replace it. Leaks in metal ductwork can be patched with duct tape.
5) Clean your outside A/C unit on an annual basis. Debris and dirt collect on the condenser, which blocks airflow and makes it work harder.
If you have questions about making sure your HVAC is summer-ready, call the knowledgeable pros here at ACS Air Conditioning Services. We are committed to making sure this summer is your most comfortable ever!